Mitgenommen – Heimat in Dingen
A travelling exhibition of the “Haus des Deutschen Ostens“ in collaboration with the “Bund der Vertriebenen – Landesverband Hessen e.V.“ about escape, expulsion and deportation of Germans from Eastern Europe.
The teddy bear in the rucksack of the small girl from Brno, the metal plate of the camp in Hungary, the crate from Carlsbad with the false bottom, the keys of the family house in Upper Silesia, the first ID documents – these and many more artefacts from the exhibition remind us not only of the old “Heimat” up to this day, but remind us of escape, expulsion, deportation, camps, the emigration and then finally the arrival in the so-called “west”. For their owners these objects never lost their sentimental value.
Through the artefacts and the stories associated with them, exemplifying personal fates, this exhibition aims to tell how people all over the world endure war, violence and persecution to this very day.
Video of the entire exhibition opening on YouTube.
Programme of the Opening of the Exhibition
- Welcome: Rose-Lore Scholz, Vice-Chair and Cultural officer of the BdV-Landesverband Hessen.
- Opening Address: Stefan Sauer, State Secretary of the Ministry of the Interior and of Sport in Hesse.
- Curator’s introduction to the exhibition: Prof. Dr. Andreas Otto Weber, Director of the “Haus des Deutschen Ostens”.
- About the book of measurements taken along: Gabriele Nilsson-Püchner, J. Püchner Holzblasinstrumentenbau.
- Music: Magnus Nilsson, principal bassoonist with the Helsingborg Symphony Orchestra Sweden.
- The BdV Landesverband Hessen e.V. presents this special exhibition from 27 April till 10 June 2022 at the “Haus der Heimat”, Wiesbaden. The realization of the exhibition in Wiesbaden was supported by the Hessian Ministry of the Interior and of Sport.